Below are additional TLA-related resources.
# Acronym Library
- ADL: Advanced Distributed Learning
- API: Application Programming Interface
- ARM: Activity and Resource Management
- ASN: Achievement Standards Network
- AWS: Amazon Web Services
- CAC: Common Access Card
- CASE: Competency and Academic Standards Exchange
- CaSS: Competency and Skills System
- CEDS: Council for Educational Data Standards
- CMM: Capability Maturity Model
- CMS: Competency Management System
- CORS: Cross Origigin Resource Sharing
- CRUD: Create, Retrieve, Update, Delete
- DAVE: Data Analytics and Visualization Environment
- DNS: Domain Name Service
- DoD: Department of Defense
- DoDAF: Department of Defense Architectural Framework
- ECC: Enterprise Course Catalog
- ELRR: Enterprise Learner Record Repository
- FICAM: Federal Identity, Credentialing, and Access Management
- HR: Human Resources
- ICAM: Identity, Credentialing, and Access Management
- IEEE: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- JITC: Joint Interoperability Test Command
- KSAO: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other behaviors
- LMS: Learning Management System
- LEM: Learning Event Management
- LOM: Learning Object Metadata
- LRC: Learner Record Consumer
- LRMI: Learning Resource Metadata Initiative
- LRP: Learner Record Provider
- LRS: Learner Record Store
- LTSC: Learning Technology Standards Committee
- LXP: Learning Experience Provider
- MOM: Master Object Model
- NILE: Navigator for Integrated Learning Experiences
- NIST: National Insitute of Standards & Technology
- OIDC: Open ID Connect
- O*Net: The O*NET program is the nation's primary source of occupational information
- PALMs: Perceptual and Adaptive LEarning Modules
- PeBL: Personalized eBook for Learning
- PESC: Postsecondary Educational Standards Council
- PERLS: Pervasive Learning System
- PII: Personally Identifiable Information
- RCD: Reusable Competency Definition
- REST: Representational state transfer
- SCO: Sharable Content Object
- SCORM: Sharable Content Object Reference Model
- SSD: Solid State Drive
- SSL: Secure Socket Layer
- SSO: Single Sign On
- TLA: Total Learning Architecture
- TRADOC: U.S. Army Training & Doctrine Command
- USAF: U.S. Air Force
- VPC: Virtual Privae Cloud
- xAPI: Experience API
- XI: Experience Index
- ZTA: Zero Trust Architecture
# TLA Standards
cmi5: The cmi5 Specification (opens new window) is an e-learning specification intended to take advantage of xAPI as a communications protocol and data model while providing definition for necessary components for system interoperability such as packaging, launch, credential handshake, and consistent information model. Any activity providers that intend to affect the TLA Reference Implementation should send cmi5 compliant xAPI statements to the Transactional LRS. To learn more about cmi5, please read the specification on GitHub.
ELR: The IEEE Enterprise Learner Record standard just received approval from the IEEE Learning Technology Standards Committee (LTSC) and a study group has been formed to develop this standard. The draft data model for this standard supports a ledger of all learning activities a learner interacts with across a career. The data model includes data about competencies, credentials, activities, and relevant job information for each learner. It provides links to evidentiary chains, and establishes linkages to career field management tools used in human resourcing, talent management, and other personnel management systems.
LAM: The IEEE P2881 Learning Activity Metadata (opens new window) standard is being developed through an active IEEE study group. The ADL Initiative has created a draft data model for this standard that builds on the IEEE 1484.12.1 LOM standard to include more detailed descriptions of an organization's training and education assets.
RCD: The IEEE 1484.20.1 Reusable Competency Definition standard (opens new window) is still being developed. It provides a common method for describing competencies, establishing their relationship within a framework of other competencies, and defining the evaluation and assessment criteria for evaluating individual or team proficiency.
xAPI: The Experience API standard (opens new window) is an interoperability specification for learning technologies that describes communication about learner performance.
# TLA Components
CaSS: The Competency and Skills System (opens new window) is the CMS currently used within the TLA Reference Implementation. CaSS is used in the TLA Reference Implementation as a Competency Registry that maintains Competency Frameworks and their related competency definitions. CaSS is also used to evaluate learner evidence and update learner records based on that evidence. CaSS Authoring Tools allow organizations to import, update, or create competency definitions and competency frameworks.
KAFKA: Apache Kafka (opens new window) is the gateway to the TLA's core systems. Kafka is an open source streaming service that forwards different TLA data topics into their respective databases. TLA components use microservices to subscribe to different data topics or to publish their results. For example, all TLA MOM statements are forwarded to different data streams (i.e., learner-data, resolved, or authority).
KeyCloak: Keycloak (opens new window) is an open source Single Sign On (SSO) service currently used by the TLA Reference Implementation.
Moodle: The Moodle (opens new window) Learning Management System (LMS) is used to deliver online courses.
# Contact Us
For more information on the TLA project, visit the ADL Initiative website at https://adlnet.gov/ (opens new window). Messages or queries can also be sent to the ADL Initiative technical support team at mailto:TLATechSupport@adlnet.gov or by visiting our Contact Us page at https://adlnet.gov/contact/ (opens new window), or by reaching out to the ADL Initiative locations:
ADL Initiative Alexandria
1901 N. Beauregard Street, Suite 600
Alexandria, VA 22311
+1 (571) 480-4640 voice
+1 (571) 480-4664 fax
ADL Initiative Orlando
13501 Ingenuity Drive, Suite 248
Orlando, FL 32826
+1 (407) 208-3400 voice
+1 (407) 208-3401 fax